Prof. P. Vinayaga Murthy completed M.A., PhD. in Population Studies and Master of Social Work. He was awarded Govindarajulu Memorial Gold Medal for securing first rank in M.A. Before joining in the Department of Population Studies, he worked as a research officer in the State Institute of Health and Family Welfare, Hyderabad. He has a teaching experience that spans nearly 30 years. He keeps updating himself with the latest knowledge in his discipline and likes to interact with the students on contemporary issues and topics. He has attended several national and international conferences, and presented and published papers in reputed journals and books. He attended and presented research papers in the European Population Association (EPA) Conference, Spain and in the International Union for the Scientific Study of Population (IUSSP) Conference, Morocco. He has been serving as a member of the Board of Studies, Department of Population Studies, Annamalai University, TN and Department of Social Work, Krishna University, AP. His area of research interests covers Reproductive Health, Development Studies and Gender Studies. Prof. Murthy is currently Head & Coordinator, Department of Population Studies & Social Work, and Coordinator, UGC-SAP-DRS-III.
- Theories of learning for Population Education. In the book Health Education for Quality of Life, BR Publishing Corporation, 1991.
- Value of son(s) and Fertility in Rural Andhra. The journal of Anthropologist, vol. 44 (1), January – March, 1991.
- Agricultural modernization, value of children and fertility behaviour. The Indian Journal of social work, Volume, No.3, July1991.
- Influence of Agricultural and communication variables of family planning and fertility behaviour. In Health, Environment and development, R.N. Pathi (Eds), Ashis publishing house, Delhi, 1992.
- Agricultural modernization, its associated factors and fertility Behavior. The journal of Health and Family welfare,3, July1993.
- Family size Norm, son preference and neglect of daughters. In Participatory Experiment in Holistic Rapid development, B.R Publishing Corporation, New Delhi, 2001.
- DWCRA and Entrepreneurship in Eluru. In Expeditions Empowerment of Women through innovative strategies: Successful model of Development in A.P.: India, B.R. Publishing Corporation, New Delhi, 2003.
- Impact of Agricultural Modernization on rural Development and Demographic In Innovative strategies of Extension for Rural Development, B.R. Publishing Corporation, New Delhi, 2004.
- Male Fertility and male sexuality: The role of social and cultural factors. The Journal of studies in tribes and tribal, Vol.3, No. 2, 2005.
- Place of Birth: Why urban women still prefer home deliveries? The Journal of Human ecology, Volume-21, No 2, 2007.
- Indira Gandhi, The former Prime Minister of India. In the book The Great Leaders of India, Emerald Publishers, Chennai, 2008.
- “Literacy Scenario in India”, The Journal of Southern Economist, volume 48, No1, 2009. (ISSN 0038-4046)
- “Changing Sex Ratio of Andhra Pradesh: An overview”, Journal of Women and Development, Volume 2, November 2009. (PP: 42-50).
- “Male attitude on women’s empowerment and men as supportive partners in promotion of RCH”, Asia Pacific Journal of Social Sciences, Volume-1, No (2), June-Dec2009.
- “International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISCON)”, in the book The Great Philosophers of India, edited by K. Mahadevan, Author House, USA, 2009. (ISBN 978-1-4343-7780-790000)
- “Declining Sex Ratio of Madhya Pradesh: Its determinants”, Southern Economist,49.No.14, 2010.
- “Health and Feeding Practices of Children: A comparative Study of Andhra Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh”, in the book Family Welfare and Fertility: India 2010, edited by Aalok Ranjan, Shyam Institute, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, 2010. (ISBN: 81-902592).
- Declining Child Sex Ratio in India: Trends, Issues and Concerns, Asia Pacific Journal of Social Sciences, Vol. III (1), Jan -June 2011, pp.183-198.
- “Sharp Decline in Child Sex Ratio: Emerging Concerns from 2011 Census”, in the book Population, Reproduction and Child Health: India 2012, edited by Aalok Ranjan, Shyam Institute, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, 2012. (ISBN: 978-93-82411-00-0).
- “Knowledge, Perceptions on Male Menopause among University Professors and its Social, Psychological and Health Causes and Consequences”, in the book Population, Reproductive and Child Health: Perspectives and Challenges, edited by U.V. Somayajulu et al, Serial Publications, New Delhi, India, 2013. (ISBN: 978-81-8387-579-0).
- “Perceptions and Knowledge of Schooling Girls on Puberty and Management During Menstruation in Urban-Rural Areas”, in the book Social work Emerging Concerns and Challenges, edited by P. Venkata Rao, Mangalam Publications, Delhi, India, 2013.(ISBN 978-93-81142-73-8).
- “A Study on the Impact of Socio-economic Aspects on Reproductive Health Knowledge of Rural Youth”, Journal of International Academic Research for Multidisciplinary Research, Volume 1, Issue 2, March 2013.(ISSN:2320-5083).
- “Population Growth: its influence on Environment”, Asian Journal of Research in Social Science and Humanities,3, issue 5 May, 2013 (ISSN 2249-7315. PP. 400-406).
- “Literacy Scenario in India”, The Journal of Southern Economist, volume 48, No1, 2009. (ISSN 0038-4046)
- Perceptions and Knowledge of schooling Girls on Puberty and Management during Menstruation- A Comparative Study between Urban-Rural Areas, Indian Journal of women and Development, Special Volume-2013, ISSN: 2231-3974, PP: 292-301.
- Girl Child in Higher Education in India: Issues and Challenges, in the book Problems of Girls Child need for Sensitization and Support, edited by A. Kusuma, ISBN-978-81-8387-717-6. PP: 278-293,2015.
- Pubertal and Menstrual Management among School Girls: Scope for Social Work Intervention, in the book Problems of Girls Child need for Sensitization and Support, edited by A. Kusuma, ISBN-978-81-8387-717-6. PP: 278-293, Edition.2015.
- Discrimination and Violation against Disability in Andhra Pradesh- A Descriptive Study, International Journal of Multidisciplinary Educational Research, ISSN:2277-7881; Volume 5issue 1(3), 2016.
- Adjustment among College Students, International Journal of Recent Scientific Research, Vol. 11, Issue – 02, ISSN: 0976-3031, 2020.
- Behaviour pattern of Problems among Youth, Global Journal for Research Analysis, Vol: 10, Issue-09, ISSN No. 2277-8160, 2021
- Health Status and Right to Health among the Tribal’s in Andhra Pradesh, Health- A Key for Success in the New Millennium; Lambert Academic Publishing, 2013.
- Development Studies
- Reproductive Health
- Gender Issues
- Socio-economic determinants of child labour in the industrial Estate of Chittoor, Andhra Pradesh under the UGC SAP. 1 Year Completed
- Reproductive Knowledge, attitude and behavior among out of school Adolescents under the UGC SAP. 1 Year Completed
- Knowledge and Menstrual Management of Adolescent Girls in Chittoor District, Andhra Pradesh, under the UGC SAP. 1 Year Completed
- Rural-Urban differentials in Socio-economic, Psychological and Health Problems of Elderly (70+) in Andhra Pradesh, under the UGC SAP. 1 Year Completed
- Knowledge on Reproductive Health among Young Girls, under the UGC SAP. 1 Year Completed
Major Research Project:
- Determinants of Differential Health and Family Planning Service Utilization in two Major Indian States, University Grants Commission, Delhi. UGC 3 Years Completed
- UGC-SBM National Seminar on Sensitization on Open Defection Free (ODF) Concept among Student Community under Swatchh Bharat Mission”, on 24th– 25th March 2016.
- National Webinar on “Anti-Human Trafficking” in Collaboration with International Justice Mission and AP. Mahila Commission, on 4th March 2021.
- National Webinar on “World population Day – 2021 Theme: Rights and Choices are the answer: Whether baby boom or bust, the solution to shifting fertility rates lies in prioritizing the reproductive health and rights of all people” in collaboration with Indian Science congress Association, Tirupati Chapter and Anti-Human Trafficking Club (AHTC) on 13-07-2021.
- National Seminar on International Human Rights Day – 2021 Theme: Equality-Reducing Inequalities, Advancing Human Rights in collaboration with Human Rights Council, Andhra Pradesh on 10-12-2021.
Papers presented at the International Conferences (Abroad):
- Paper presented on “Male attitude on women’s empowerment and men as supportive partners in promotion of RCH” in the XXVI IUSSP International Population Conference Marrakech, Morocco, 27 September – 2 October 2009.
- Paper presented on “Male Menopause – A Study of its Socio-Psychological causes and consequences among University Professors” in European Population Conference, European Association for Population Studies. Barcelona, Spain July 9-12, 2008.
- Paper presented on Role of University Students in Promoting WASH Programmes in the WASH Partners’ Conclave, UNICEF organized at Hotel Marriott, Hyderabad from 21-23, September, 2015.
Govindarajulu Gold medal for securing First Rank in M.A. Population Studies
- B. Raveendra Naik Health Status and Right to Health among the Tribal’s in Andhra Pradesh 2012
- M. Sivappa Reproductive and Sexual Health among Youth in Rural Andhra Pradesh 2013
- T. Parthasarathy Perception and Participation of Men towards their Spouses Reproductive Health 2014
- M. Reena Perception and Knowledge of Schooling Girls on Puberty and Management during Menstruation in Urban-Rural Areas 2015
- P. Usha Variation in the Utilization of Government Health and Family Planning Services and Its Determinants 2017
- Mahalakshmi Malika Status of Demographic Transition in India 2020
Post-Doctoral Fellows Guided
- Dr. T. Pardhasarathy Impact of Gender Relations on Reproductive Health 2021
- Dr. M. Sivappa Pattern, Prevention and Potentiality among School Youth on Sexual and Reproductive Health 2021
- Coordinator, Dept. of Social Work (Self-supporting) S.V. University, Tirupati. 2010-2012 2 Years
- Head, Dept. of Population Studies and Social Work, Tirupati 2014-2016 2 Years
- Chairman, Board of Studies, Dept. of Population Studies, S.V. University, Tirupati 2017-2020 3 Years
- Director, Directorate of Distance Education, S.V. University, Tirupati 2018-2019 1 Year
- Coordinator, UGC Summer Special Course, Academic Staff College, S.V. University, Tirupati 2014 21 Days
- Coordinator, Refresher Course in Health Management, UGC-HRDC, S. V. University, Tirupati 2021 14 Days
- Indian Association for the Study of Population, New Delhi. India.
- Indian Association for Social Science and Health, Mumbai.
- International union for the scientific study of Population, Paris, France.
- European Association for Population Studies, The Netherlands
- Asian Population Association, Bangkok, Thailand.
- American Population Association, USA
Preparation of Course material for students of Distance Education:
Study materials were prepared for the Universities of SV University, Tirupati and Annamalai University, Chidhambaram.
Participation in Corporate Life at College / University / Institution:
- Participated and conducted more than 200 extension programmes on Population Education, Health, Environment, Small Family norm etc. for different groups like school and college students, Teacher training students, Women, Youth, rural public, fishermen community, Anganwadi workers, Health workers, NGOs etc.
- Participated in the collection of funds and materials for flood relief fund.
- Participated as an observer and group leader in the Janmabhoomi programmes.
- Participated in the collection of funds and materials for flood relief fund Acted as Member, Anti-ragging Committee, S. V. University.