Sri Venkateswara University is governed by the Sri Venkateswara University Act 1954 with necessary amendments made from time to time by the various Andhra Pradesh Acts connected with it. (For details of these amendments vide next page).
The latest amendment applicable to other Universities in the State also was made by the A.P. Act No. XIII of 1995.
The amendment of the Act came into force from 21-02-1995 as per the G.O.Ms. No. 43 Education (U.E.1-2) Department dated 21-02-1995. Till then the Board of Management functioned as the Governing Body of the University with all the provisions enshrined therein. Though the name of the governing body is changed into the Executive Council the constitution of the Executive Council actually took place on 22-04-1995. The salient features of the Act No. XIII of 1995 are:
- The constitution of the Executive Council (in the place of the Board of management) with six ex-officio and nine nominated Members (one senior Professor of the University Colleges, one Principal of the University Colleges, one Principal of the Affiliated Colleges, one teacher from among the teachers of the University Colleges, one teacher from among the teachers of Affiliated Colleges, and four eminent persons representing Industry, Agriculture, Trade, Commerce, Education, Public Life, Legal Profession, Social Work, etc.,)
- Every Member of the Executive Council other than Ex-officio Members shall hold office during the pleasure of the Governor.
- The Executive Council shall meet at least once in three months and may meet often if necessary.
- Upon a requisition in writing signed by not less than one-third of the total number of Members of the Executive Council, the Vice-Chancellor shall convene a meeting thereof on a date specified by him which shall not be later than seven days from the date of receipt of requisition aforesaid.
- In the absence of the Vice-Chancellor from any meeting of the Executive Council, the members present at the meeting shall choose one among themselves to preside over the meeting.
- The quorum for the meeting of the Executive Council shall be one-third of the total number of the Members or six persons, whichever is less.
- For the words “Board of Management” wherever they occur, the words “Executive Council” shall be substituted.
However, the norms concerning the Academic Senate remain, as per Act No.4 of 1991).