The Department of Performing Arts was established in the year 1989.
• To guide music students and scholars on various aspects of music learning, teaching, research and performance
• To inculcate the nuances of classical music to the students
• To give individual attention to mould the students and make them professional performers
• to undertake serious research in Music and extend the same to interdisciplinary and collaborative levels
M.A. in Performing Arts (Music)
This course enables a student to get advanced training in Carnatic Classical music. Any student possessing an undergraduate degree in Music or any UG degree with an additional qualification of music like title/certificate/diploma is eligible to join the course. Importance is given to both kalpita (pre-composed) and manodharma (Improvisation) aspects of music training and the course aims at preparing a student to shine both as a performer and a researcher.Consists of Theory and Practical papers in a ratio of 1:4
Ph.D. in Performing Arts (Music)
A student with a PG degree in music can register for the research degree programmes. Some of the areas of Research are Study of Musicological texts, Music Manuscripts, Compositional Analysis, Ritual Music and Stylistic studies. Interdisciplinary research has also been a key area with studies relating to Music and Veterinary Science (milk yield), Music and Education, Music and Information technology, and so on. 9 (Nine) Research Scholars submitted Theses out of which 8 (Eight) are awarded Ph.D. degree till now. 6 (Six) Research Scholars are pursuing Ph.D. in the department currently.
The Department Library comprises about 500 printed works in the form of Books, Journals and Project Reports on Music in different languages like English, Telugu, Sanskrit, Hindi and Tamizh. There is also a good collection of audio recordings of great masters in the form of Audio cassettes and CDs. The Department is also gifted with a variety of Musical Instruments like Veena, Violin, Tambura (manual & electronic), Tabla and Keyboard. The library is open during office hours and many scholars and students are benefited with the library collection.
Vision of the Department
• To take Music to grass root level of the society through ‘Outreach activities’
• To give online consultation on Music learning and Research
• To create a hub for music research to coordinate with other Institutions, globally
• To organize National & International Seminars and Conferences on music
• To train scholars in research methods and promote quality research at par with International standards
Disciple of Dr. Cherthala K.N. Ranganatha Sharma , a postgraduate in Music from Sri Sathguru Sangeeta Vidyalayam,(University Rank holder-1998), Madurai, cleared NET & SLET in Music and completed Doctorate at Sri Venkateswara University Tirupati. Also worked as Lecturer in music in Tamilnadu Govt. Evening Music College, Madurai, & Kalai Kaviri College of fine arts, Trichy, music teacher in Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya under Ministry of HRD in Car Nicobar Islands & Tumkur. From 2007, serving as Assistant Professor in the Department of Performing Arts, Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati . Completed one UGC- Major Research project entitled ‘Impact of Carnatic Music on the Milk Yield of S.V.Gosamrakshanashala –Tirupati’ dealt with interdisciplinary relationship with veterinary science and music. Also completed one UGC- Minor Research project entitled ‘ Ritual music of Sri Kalyana Venkateswara Swamy temple of Srinivasamangapuram, Tirupati’. He has published more than 30 research papers at national level and around 8 research papers in International journals. He is also performing Carnatic music concerts in Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh.
- UG and PG in Performing Arts from Madurai Kamaraj University securing University first rank
- Awarded with D.in Performing Arts from Sri Venkateswara University
- Qualified the UGC – NET & SLET in Music
- Early trained under Smt . Azhanthankarai Thangam of Kanyakumari Dist
- 2 years trained Under Eraniel Sri P.N. Perumal , Retired professor, Swathi ThirunalMusic Academy , Trivandrum.
- 1 year trained under Smt.Kasturi Chakravarthy, Trichy.
- 1 year trained under Sri Chellapa and Smt. Meena Krishnamoorthy of Kanyakumari District
- 5 Years of advance training under Sri Dr. K.N.Renganatha Sharma, A # Grade AIR Artist, Assistant Professor , M.K.University, Madurai.
- Working as Assistant Professor in the Department of Performing Arts, Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati, since 2007.
- Served as Music Teacher (TGT) in Jawahar NavodayaVidyalaya, Tumkur, Karnataka Minsitry of HRD Govt.of India from 2005-2007.
- Served as Music Teacher (TGT) in Jawahar NavodayaVidyalaya, Carnicobar , Andaman & Nicobars Islands, Under Minsitry of HRD Govt.of India from 2002-2004.
- Served as lecturer in Kalaikaviri College of Fine Arts , Trichy affiliated to Bharathidasan University.
- Served as lecturer in Tamilnadu Govt. Evening Music College, Madurai 1998-1999.
- Served as Music Teacher in Chethana Mat.Hr.Sec School , Madurai 1997-1998.
Sorry, no BOS Found this Department.
Qualifications : M.A. M.Phil. Ph.D. Sangita vidwan Title Course, Diploma in Music Teaching
Experience : 32 Years and 8 months
Faculty Type : Teaching
Specializations : Vocal-Carnatic Music & Musicology
Research Interests :
Email : email@example.com
Qualifications : MA. Ph.D (NET& SLET)
Experience : 14 Years 4 Months
Faculty Type : Teaching
Specializations : 1. Melodic Analysis 2. Ritual Music 3. Raga and impact of Raga-s 4. Applied Music 5. Interdisciplinary studies in Music 6. Application of music in various segments
Research Interests :
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org